New IRS Form 990-N Electronic Filing Procedure
January 17, 2017
To: All Lodge Worshipful Masters, Secretaries, Treasurers and Deputies
Re: IRS Form 990-N Electronic Filings
It has come to our attention that the IRS has new procedures regarding filing your Temple Board and Lodge Form 990-N electronically. First, there are step by step guidelines on how to file the 990-N which can be found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5248.pdf. Additionally, you can call (877) 829-5500 if you have further questions. This is the phone number for the IRS and they can answer questions concerning filings for charities and non-profits.
There are several potential issues with the IRS electronic system that have been brought to our attention that we would like to let you know about. As you are going through the steps, please be aware of the following issues:
- Every time you are asked to enter a name, the name should be entered entirely in lower case letters with no middle initial. Furthermore, the name that you enter in Step 1 must match the name entered in Step 10.
- Step 6-You must select Manage Form 990-N Submissions even if you have filed your 990-N electronically in previous years.
- Step 7-You should choose Exempt Organization in the “User Type” field.
- Step 11-You will have to fill out both your Organization’s (your Lodge or Temple Board) legal name and the DBA Name. Unless you have a separate DBA, these should be the same. At this point another screen will come up and you will have to put in the officers names and other information regarding the Corporation.
- Step 12- You must click on the word PRINT in the bottom paragraph to print a copy for your records (you can also do a screen print). Once you leave this page, you will NOT be able to return to print your filing. Make sure BEFORE you print this page that you have refreshed the page and that the filing status changed from pending to accepted (see Step 13).
Please note that you will no longer receive an email from the IRS confirming your filing. You must complete all of the steps and print the confirmation page (see Step 12) to receive your confirmation notification. This is information that you will need when you file your year-end report and when the District Deputy has his Official Visit to your Lodge.
Please feel free to call Sam Roberts or Clint Brown at the Grand Lodge office if you have any questions.
VWB Clint Brown
Assistant to the Grand Secretary